Forgiveness

Last week I shared my heart on judging others.   Often, if we have judged someone it is because they have offended us.  It may then become necessary to forgive them. 
Forgiveness is a BIG deal to God.  It can be so hard for us as humans to extend forgiveness. 
What if they aren’t sorry?  What if they don’t change?  What if you just plain don’t want to forgive someone?  Does God give us a pass?

Unfortunately no, God tells us in His Word that we must forgive if we are to be forgiven by Him.  When I am unwilling to forgive someone, I remain angry and resentful.  It is impossible to be kind to that person.  I want to exact punishment and revenge.  I want them to be hurt as much as I am hurting. 
                                                                                               
                                                                                                Ephesians 4:32

 In Colossians 3:13 NLT  “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you.  Remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.”
A portion of the Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6:14-15 Amp reads  “For if you forgive others their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins], your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others [nurturing your hurt and anger with the result that it interferes with your relationship with God], then your Father will not forgive your trespasses”

So it appears we have no choice if we want to have God forgive our sins. 
1 John 1:8-9 Amp “ If we say we have no sin [refusing to admit that we are sinners], we delude ourselves and the truth is not in us.  [His word does not live in our hearts.]  If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just [true to His own nature and promises], and will forgive our sins and cleanse us continually from all unrighteousness [our wrongdoing, everything not in conformity with His will and purpose}. “

There are many opportunities in our lives to practice forgiveness~ asking or giving.
 If you are married and/or have children the examples for me are too numerous to list!
If you have friends the chances are great that at some point they will do something to hurt your feelings-whether real or imagined.  Or…you may do something to offend them.  Be quick to bring it to the Lord in prayer and then go to that person. 

 Jesus says we don’t get to forgive one time and then we are done.  Luke 17:4 NLT says:
“Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.”  Wow!  That is a hard directive.  It seems impossible to do what He is asking, but God can and will give us the ability to continue to forgive. 

Honestly, to forgive sometimes is a deliberate decision on my part.  It is not something I want to do.  But I DO want my Lord to forgive me so I am obedient.  I read these scriptures and take them seriously.  In the same manner I sometimes ask for forgiveness of another person even when I might not think I am wrong.  God shows me my arrogance and I obey.

If God says I must forgive, then I must be obedient so God is able to forgive me.

Forgiveness brings healing to our hearts and spirit.  Why would we want less than God’s plan for us?

Stay safe, Stay Well

️ ❤️  Sharon Charvet
Women's Ministry Leader
Foothills Foursquare Church
email: womens.foothills4sq@gmail.com
Monroe, Washington





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love