Be Mericiful

                                                

       The Lord is merciful and gracious, Slow to                     anger and abounding in mercy” Psalm 103:8

According to Strong’s Concordance there are 250 verses in the Bible on mercy.



Strong’s #2617:  Mercy is Kindness, lovingkindness; unfailing love; tenderness; faithfulness.

The dictionary definition of mercy is:

1.   Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one’s power; clemency.

2.   A disposition to be kind and forgiving.

 

All of those are a description of our Heavenly Father.  He is compassionate, kind and forgiving.  What a blessing and a privilege to be loved by Him.

After writing about forgiveness I was talking to someone about it.  They said they didn’t think they had to forgive unless the other person asked for forgiveness.  I of course explained no, that wasn’t how it works.  Yet, I know that person is full of compassion and kindness, is merciful to others, and is forgiving in spite of what they say they believe.  

Micah 6:8 NKJV “He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does He require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?”

The entire chapter of Psalm 136 says, “For His mercy endures forever” I love this and am so overwhelmed by “forever” and am so thankful.

Hosea 6:6 NKJV “ For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.”

God has shown me mercy over and over in my life.  For myself, I define His mercy as kindness, His tenderness, His unfailing forever love.  When I have ignored Him, when I have cried out in anguish, He always answers and comforts me.  I have never turned my back completely on God, but I have willfully sinned.  He has always forgiven me and offered me His mercy.

I have been faced with many situations where I have been challenged to offer mercy to family, friends and acquaintances.  Many times I fail initially but eventually the Lord shows me what I need to do.  

Jeremiah 3:12 is directed to Israel but is for you and me also:  “I will not cause my anger to fall on you.  For I am merciful says the Lord; I will not remain angry forever.”

I believe the many scriptures about God’s mercy show us that mercy (kindness) is a trait God expects us all to possess and grant to others.

Our Pastor has spoken several times lately on kindness.  During our current world climate we have many opportunities to extend kindness.  Let’s strive to be kind and merciful and not fail God’s challenge to us.

Romans 9:15 NLT “I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose.” 

Bless you all in the coming week.

Stay safe, Stay well

❤️ Sharon Charvet                                                 

Women's Ministry Leader

Foothills Foursquare Church

https://foothills4square.com

email: womens.foothills4sq@gmail.com

Monroe, Washington

                                                  



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love