Wisdom

Today I want to look at wisdom.  

Wisdom:  #1.  The ability to discern or judge what is true, right or lasting; insight

                #2.  Common sense; good judgment.

                #3.  The sum of  learning through the ages; knowledge.

I like all of these definitions.  As you can see by the first definition, wisdom often goes along with discernment.  We need wisdom to discern how to use good judgment.  I also like # 3.  Those that have known Jesus personally for many years frequently have an abundance of knowledge that the immature believer may not have obtained yet.

I look to women and men in our church body for counsel knowing they have years of experience and wisdom.  Many have given me Godly advice.  I so appreciate their guidance. 

Spiritually, wisdom should look different from the world’s definition.  #2 says to use common sense.  What seems right to us is NOT always correct with God.  Proverbs 2:6 Amp. “For the Lord gives [skillful and godly] wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding."Psalms 111:10 NLT “Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom;  All who obey His commandments will grow in wisdom.”  There are requirements to obtain wisdom from the Lord:  A reverential fear of Him and obeying His commandments.                        

We should always seek God’s wisdom in how we live our lives.  James 1:5-6 NIV  “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you, (6a) But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt.”

Do we sometimes make decisions without asking God’s advice?  I do.  I’ve made quick decisions based on my own “knowledge”.  Sometimes they have turned out okay,  sometimes I’ve reaped negative consequences.  But… we can trust Romans 8:28 NKJV  “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  In this verse I see that God is willing to make something good come from something bad when I am willing to repent and trust Him in each situation.

I want to seek and listen to the Lord so I can obtain wisdom.  To do that takes time in the Word of God, the Bible, and many hours of prayer. 

I encourage you to use your concordance to look up scriptures on wisdom.  There are many verses of encouragement and knowledge about wisdom.

In Strong’s concordance it shows 234 scriptural references to wisdom!

I leave you today with Colossians 3:16 AMP   “Let the [spoken] word of Christ have its home within you [dwelling in your heart and mind—permeating every aspect of your being] as you teach [spiritual things]and admonish and train one another with all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in you hearts to God.” 

Stay Well, Stay Safe

God Bless You All

❤️Sharon


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love