Decluttering the Soul

 


I need to start by saying this title isn’t my own.  I read what someone wrote about Decluttering the Soul and it intrigued me.  I know about decluttering our home – I’ve recently done a lot of that in the moving process.  Decluttering my Soul is a new concept.


In reading what this author said, I started thinking about attitudes I have that need to go.  What thought patterns do I hold on to that don’t serve me well – that actually hinder me from hearing God?  Psalms 51:10 NKJV “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”  Do I pray that scripture and mean it when I ask God to create a clean heart?


Psalms 119:11 says, “Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.”

Do I know God’s word so that I am able to stop sin before I am tempted?  Can I totally let go of a negative thought or behavior, or does it pop back up and I have to deal with it again?  We need to trust what God says in Isaiah 43:25 TLV “I, I am the One who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and will not remember your sins.”  When we ask God to forgive us and take a sin away, He will give us the ability to do that.  Our thoughts and behaviors are our responsibility.  Bringing up past mistakes is not God’s will for us.  Jesus not only forgives, He forgets. Psalms 103:12 NLT “He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.”


Another area that can clutter our souls is remembering and holding on to past achievements and areas of ministry.  We have different ways we serve God, in different seasons of our lives. As God brings changes we need to let go of the past, use what is beneficial to us and then move on to where He is leading us.  Philippians 3:13 NLT “No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing:  Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead”


As I apply this principal of decluttering to my soul, I hope to have more room for the new expectations Jesus has for me. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 (17)“Never stop praying.  (18)Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”

Stay Well, Stay Safe

 In Christ,

  ❤️  Sharon

Sharon Charvet

Women's Ministry Director

Foothills Foursquare Church

https://foothills4square.com

email: womens.foothills4sq@gmail.com

Monroe, Washington


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love