Unmet Expectations

 November 27, 2020

I hope your Thanksgiving was Blessed and all you hoped for.

Mine was not what I hoped for.  Due to Covid it was much smaller – 4 of us compared to our usual 10-15 people.  

I do feel incredibly Blessed that all my family has survived this Pandemic.  We enjoyed a nice dinner ~ although the turkey took an hour longer than I planned!  50 years of cooking turkeys and it still doesn’t always go according to my schedule!  Welcome to 2020!

The small family we celebrated with didn’t interact like I hoped.  I had expectations that weren’t met.  The day did not “feel” like our normal celebration.  I’m not sure we ended our day feeling thankful.  I felt like a deflated balloon.

The underlying theme of this year is disappointment; with some accompanying depression or despondency.  It is hard sometime to continue to deal with the many disappointments.  I know the current slogan is “For now-not Forever” but it often feels forever.  I have been so Blessed in so many ways, that continued changes are hard to deal with. 

What is God asking of me?


Psalms 62:5 NKJV  “My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him"

I need to turn to Him and rely on Him to show me how to react and respond to my circumstances.  In the moment of conflict it is hard for me to stop, ask God’s direction and then proceed.  Philippians 1:20 NLT “For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.”

I anticipate the Christmas season ahead will be full of changes and unmet expectations.  I’m human, my family is human and we sometimes disappoint each other.  We are NOT a Hallmark movie as I would, in reality like, ~ always with a happy ending!  I strive to remember my happy ending is life in Christ.  Daily living with His direction!  Meeting His expectations for me.  And…ultimately living in Heaven with Him.

I rely on Jeremiah 29:11 NLT “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord.  They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Stay well, Stay safe

Sharon





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love