Freedom

As I ponder the word freedom (A state of exemption from the power or control of another), I have discovered it has more than one meaning to me.

Freedom immediately makes me think of my personal freedom in our country.  I have always experienced freedom of choice.  Religious freedom, who I wanted to marry, what career I wanted and where I want to travel are a few of the choices I have been allowed to make.  I have always been thankful to be born in the USA yet I can see that some freedoms are being taken from us and that is a concern for all.

But….. I have come to understand that my ultimate freedom is in Christ.  

John 8:32 & 36 NLT  (32)“And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”  (36) “So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.”  Once I accepted Jesus as my savior my freedom was guaranteed.

The most important thing to assure our freedom is the condition of our hearts.  God looks at out hearts and His desire is that we have a heart that is free.  Proverbs 4:23 “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.”  We need to ask the Holy Spirit to illuminate things in our hearts that need to be removed and that are keeping us from being free.  2 Corinthians 3:17 “For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."   





I think most of us understand that being free in Christ does not give us freedom to do anything we want.  Galatians 5:13 says “For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters.  But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature.  Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.”  And Romans 8:2 “And because you belong to Him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.”

Proverbs 4 gives us the instructions we need to keep our hearts free from sin.  We must guard our words,(v24) our eyes, (v25) our habits. (v26)  This will enable us to obtain wisdom, and develop good judgment.  

Let’s ask the Holy Spirit to show us areas in our lives that keep us from believing the truth of who God says we are and begin to live in the freedom Jesus has for us.

❤️ Sharon

Sharon Charvet

Women's Ministry Director

Foothills Foursquare Church

https://foothills4square.com

email: womens.foothills4sq@gmail.com

Monroe, Washington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love