Humility

 Humility – “A lack of false pride; modest opinion of one's own importance or rank; meekness

 

Do I demonstrate this virtue?  Sometimes I am so sure I am right about a situation.  It could be an opinion or a disagreement.  My side is the correct side.

 

Humility is a virtue I admire and strive for.  Proverbs 11:2 NLT “Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.”  Proverbs 29:23 NLT “ Pride ends in humiliation, while humility brings honor”.  Now we are back to that dirty word – “Pride”.  It can get us into all kinds of trouble.  Proverbs 3:7 NLT “Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom.  Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil”.

 

Am I sometimes prideful?  Absolutely!  I’m ashamed to say “I” think I am right.  I can figure out a problem without prayer or Godly input and advice.

 

I have judged what I consider pride in others, but I don’t always see it in myself.





 

Ephesians 4:2 NLT “Always be humble and gentle.  Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love.”

Philippians 2:3 NLT “don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others.  Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.”

 

There are many more scriptures about humility and being humble that I am trying to learn from.  Too many to add today.

 

As I have been writing these weekly letters I am constantly reminded of the virtues God wants us to have.  Colossians 3:12 NLT states five virtues that I want to have exemplified in my life. “Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.”   Easier to say than to act out at times.

 

This brings me back to pride.  I think “I” know best.  I do want what God wants for me, so I will humbly pray for His guidance, ask forgiveness when I fail and begin again. 

 

Finally, Titus 3:2 NLT “They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling.  Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to EVERYONE.”

 

My goal for today and every day.  Sometimes it is one moment at a time.

 

Stay safe, Stay well

  ❤️ Sharon Charvet

 Women's Ministry Leader

Foothills Foursquare Church

https://foothills4square.com

email: womens.foothills4sq@gmail.com

Monroe, Washington

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love