Anxiety vs Prayer

 Greetings Friends,

 I prayed about what to write to you and the Lord brought the words worry and anxiety to mind. Then I thought, really God, shouldn’t I be writing something about Mother’s Day? The answer was no. How quick I was to question the word I received. I repented. 

 Jesus said in Matthew 6:25, “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on.” NKJV My New Spirit Filled Life Study Bible defines the word worry in the Greek as Strong’s #3309, Merimnao. It comes from the word Merizo and means “to divide into parts.”  It goes on to say that the word suggests a distraction, a preoccupation with things causing anxiety, stress, and pressure. Jesus speaks against worry and anxiety because of the watchful care of a heavenly Father who is ever mindful of our daily needs. The words “to divide into parts” really stood out to me. Those words describe exactly how I feel when I let anxiety take over, it feels like I have fallen apart in pieces, and I can’t think straight. There is a country and western song, “I Fall to Pieces”. We don’t want to go there. It leads to hopelessness and despair.

 So, what can we do when worrisome thoughts start to surface? Philippians 4:6-7 says “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication make your request be known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. NKJV The word anxious is the same Greek word in Matthew 6:25, so in other words, don’t fall apart with worry. The answer is prayer and belief that God hears our prayers and that He loves us.

1 Peter 3:12 says, “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil”. NKJV  1 John 4:16 says, “And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him”. NKJV

 Many of us tend to worry about our families and it’s sometimes hard to keep praying for the same things over and over and not seeing any change.  Keep praying, be patient, and wait on the Lord. “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint”.  Isaiah 40:31 NKJV

 God Bless you all,                                                        

 Jo Allis Grove                                                                                 

Foothills Foursquare Secretary


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love