Family

 Today I am in one of my happy places. We are visiting our second daughter and her family in Utah.  Our granddaughters are 18, 14, and we will be celebrating the youngest 3rd birthday.  We feel blessed to be able to finally visit again.


Genesis 1:27,28 NLT  “So God created human beings in His own image.  In the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.  (28) Then God blessed them and said “Be fruitful and multiply.  Fill the earth and govern over it……”


Genesis 4:1,2,8 NKJV “Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have acquired a man from the Lord,’ (2) Then she bore again, this time his brother Abel…. 

v8  Now Cain talked with Abel his brother; and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against his brother and killed him.”


When I read this account of family in the Bible, I am aware that issues in families began long ago, and are not uncommon still today. 


We all want our family relationships to be harmonious and perfect - I certainly do.  Unfortunately, we are all flawed human beings with personalities that God created.  Sometimes these personalities clash. 


How do we respond to these disagreements?  My personality is that I want to” fix” every uncomfortable situation.  Most of the time that doesn’t work.  God  is showing me that I can only be responsible for my mistakes in any relationship.  I can only apologize for my part; ask forgiveness and move forward.  It is up to the other person how they respond.  This is true of our biological family as well as our church family.


Galatians 6:2 Amp “Carry one another’s burdens and in this way you will fulfill the requirements of the law of Christ [that is, the law of Christian love].   

Colossians 3:12,13 Amp  “So, as God’s own chosen people, who are holy [set apart sanctified for His purpose] and well-beloved [by God Himself], put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience [which has the power to endure whatever injustice or unpleasantness comes, with good temper] (13) Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you.  Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.”


These are scriptures that I try to live my life by.  Do I always succeed?  I do not.  But, I know forgiveness is always the key to relationship restoration.  I have to forgive so God can bless and restore.  I can’t “fix” a broken relationship but God can and does.  I trust Him to change and mend broken hearts that hold on to hurt and pain.


1 Corinthians 13:4 NLT  "Love is patient and kind.  Love is not jealous or boastful Or  proud (5) or rude.  It does not demand its own way.  It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.

Stay well, Stay safe,

Blessings to All,

  ❤️  Sharon

Sharon Charvet

Women's Ministry Leader

Foothills Foursquare Church

https://foothills4square.com

email: womens.foothills4sq@gmail.com

Monroe, Washington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Discernment

No Fear

Advent Week 4 - Love